Founder’s Log 100117-03: Identity Forming Day 10
“Your level of success will seldom exceed your level of personal development because success is something you attract by the person you become.” ~Jim Rohn
Ok, I know, I know, I’m a couple days late posting this, but I had an issue with my WordPress website. The WordPress editor kept being weird and glitching on me, but I think I found a fix. I’ll post an article about it and link it somewhere if the solution works.
Back to business… Idk what it is, but it seems like these months go by way too fast. Maybe it’s just me but my entrepreneurial life is full of guilt. I am constantly feeling guilty about the stuff I didn’t accomplish. I sometimes kick myself to reminding myself of the stuff I did accomplish to try and eliminate the guilt.
This month I wanted to accomplish so much more than I did, however, I do not have a team behind me or refined systems in place…yet, to achieve the work I want to achieve. If thats the case, then maybe that feeling will be here for a while. Or maybe it will never go away even if I do. Who knows, but something to think about I suppose.
Ok lets switch to a more positive note…
Positive things that happened to me:
- I finished a couple client projects, hopefully this will help free up more time to blog and grow these sites.
- I setup the new niche site I call “ProjectConvert.com” (PC in this post for short.)
- I finished my first blog post for CC.
- I hired a copywriter from Upwork.com to edit all my blog posts.
- I bit the bullet and bought Adobe Photoshop CC and that will increase my contract workflow significantly. Asset generator is a godsend when splicing webpages. (I was using Adobe Cs 6.5 before. Such a relic.)
- I won pool tournament! (Side story: I got convinced to join a friends pool league a couple years back, so since then I have been playing pool at least once a week and sharpening up my game. Well a local bar had a $20 pool tournament and I won! Banked about $160 bucks.
Goals accomplished in the last 10 days.
Here are the goals I said I would complete last week:
Finish writing content and launching Project Founder. Create social media accounts for PF.
- Buffer social media posts for Project Founder.
Setup ProjectConvert.com Write About Page / Resource Page for PC. Write the first blog PC blog post.
Wow now that I look back on it, I completed almost everything I said I was going to do. That’s why these journals are so helpful because It will not only help keep me accountable, but serve as a constant reminder of the things I have completed so I’m not stuck in this never ending feeling of guilt or unproductiveness.
I put together these PSD wireframe themes that will significantly help speed up some of my service / contract work.
I do a lot of landing page design and development and the elements in the landing pages are often repetitive. And it’s like building legos in a sense as the design can be sectioned out and placed in like lego building.
My goal is to systematize this process as much as I can so I can eliminate thinking as much as I can and possibly train another designer this easy process to get even more work off my plate.
Here is a preview of the wireframes I put together.
Everything I struggled with in the last 10 days.
My ability to gauge the time it takes to complete a task is horrible. For something I think should take a day, takes several days. Well I guess I’m mainly talking about writing these blog posts. I have always been a visual person, and putting together beautiful designs comes easy as I have honed my skill with that over the years. However I find putting together strings of words that are informative and make sense very difficult. To sum it up… dem word things are hard.
On top of the lack of speed it takes to write blog posts lately I have found my energy and focus dip half way through the day. I often take naps in the middle of the day, so that helps, but my energy level gets pretty low and my focus diminishes big time.
Solutions or possible for the struggles.
I guess like any skill I hope my writing will get faster and easier over time. I will adopt a writing style with practice and find little shortcuts or systems as time goes on and get into a rhythm. Hopefully it will flow faster as I practice more. That’s what usually happens.
As for the energy thing, I just need to go to bed earlier. It’s difficult sometimes when you have a girlfriend who works the night shift. Our schedules are pretty opposite and when she’s awake, I’m working and when she’s working, I’m working.
I have been waking up at 6am everyday and do my morning routine, no matter what time I go to bed and sometimes I’ll head to bed at 12pm or 1am and struggle the next day. I need to focus on what’s important and just bite the bullet and sleep earlier.
My goals for the next 10 days.
- Buffer social media posts for Project Founder.
- Post 2 blog posts for Project Convert.
- Post 2 blog post for Project Founder.
- Find a quality designer.
- Mockup custom landing page service system.
My goal with ProjectConvert.com
Often times people create blogs, thinking they will turn it into a business of some sort. And even though I’m very guilty of that, it’s backwards thinking. But with Project Convert I already have a several products.
- My core offer is my custom landing page development service. This needs to be systematized of course, but that’s the main product.
- My low barrier offer is are my themes and templates.
- And lastly right now I can monetize with affiliate marketing.
Those are my basic monetization options now and I just need a way to get the word out and market them. That’s why I wanted to put together a quality authority marketing site to do just that.
My goal with Project Convert is so that anyone who is a blogger or online business owner can go to the site and see what tricks, tips, tactics and strategies they can do, to help increase leads and sales. Simple, to the point how to’s for the most part.
I’m sure it will evolve over time, but what’s the plan so far.
A good habit I will implement in the next 10 days.
Before I get into the new habit, I just want to talk about some of the recent habits I’ve implemented that have dramatically increased my mindset, productivity and workflow. Im positive if I keep this up, I am will on the way to the level of success I want.
Basically I stole this from the The Morning Miracle. That book is awesome. Get it.
- I wake up at 6am everyday. I might even start waking up at 5am. Gives me so much extra time.
- I meditate for about 10 minutes. Helps clear my mind for the day.
- 5 minutes of positive words of affirmation. Can’t be a hero if you aren’t in the right mindset right?
- 5 minutes visualizing my tasks and goals I want to accomplish.
- I read for about 20-30 minutes.
- And lastly I workout for about an hour. This gives me tons of energy for the day.
Since adopting my morning routine, I have been healthier, happier, and way more productive. Weekends are still hard though as I still sleep in, but baby steps right?
Also If you think thats a lot of time and cant work it into your routine, then you can cut corners. Reduce the workout time to 30 minutes and listen to the audiobooks when you drive or just wear wireless headphones around your neck everywhere and listen to books and podcasts when you’re grocery shopping, walking the dog, driving, etc.. So much wasted time is spent in your life, might as well make it productive somehow.
So what new good habit to implement in the next 10 days?
one day over 10+ years ago I stopped drinking soda. Yes it was almost overnight from what I recall. I realized how bad soda was and decided I just didn’t want to put a bunch of sugar in my body everyday, regardless of it’s sugary goodness.
I didn’t realize this before, but I think why it was so easy to quit was because I had immediately made it a part of my identity. Every time someone offered me a soda I would simply say “I’m sorry, I don’t drink soda.” instead of “I can’t drink soda”.
I quickly made it a core part of my identity. So this week and from now on I am going to do that will all good habits in life.
- I am a morning person.
- I am a fit person.
- I read everyday.
- I don’t procrastinate.
- I don’t quit.
- I am….
- I don’t….
Everything thing I want to really change in my life or every good habit I want to implement will become who I am, not just what I want in life.
New books I’ve Read
This is a new section I thought would be helpful. I figured if I’m constantly reading new business, marketing and self development books then I might as well provide you my brutally honest opinions on them. And no, I’m not going to hold back if I feel like the book sucks. Just wait till my review of Gary Vaynerchuk’s book, “Crush It”.
In the last 10 days I have read:
- Launch: An Internet Millionaire’s Secret Formula To Sell Almost Anything Online, Build A Business You Love, And Live The Life Of Your Dreams. – By Jeff Walker.
Wow that is a long title, but this books is really really good and packed full of quality marketing info. Well not just info, but a good system that is pretty easy to implement. If you have an online product, or course, and need a solid marketing system to help you launch it, then this is the book. It focuses on long term strategy, and not cheesy tactics.
- Rich Dad Poor Dad – By Robert T Kiyosaki
This book is a classic and had been around for a long time so it’s highly likely you have read it already. However I finally got around to reading it and wow, I wish I had learned this stuff in high school. Every young entrepreneur…every person in the world should read this book.It clearly illustrates the unique difference of how rich people think, vs poor people and provides fundamental knowledge of wealth building. On top of that, what I liked best about it was that it provided examples of how to think outside the box and creatively as an entrepreneur and raise capital if you have none.Overall another book with a lot of good nuggets of info. but besides that this book is gold. Highly recommend it as it’s full of knowledge bombs.
INCOME BREAKDOWN SEP 2017
Ok it is now the end of the month and time for another Income Breakdown. To be honest, since the last report, my sales have not increased really at all, I just increased the hours I worked.
If anything I added another expense. I bit the bullet and purchased a 3 year plan for the Adobe Photoshop CC. That comes out to $7.99 a month. The cheapest plan if you buy in bulk. CC is amazing though and totally worth it if you need to use photoshop often like I do.
Freelancing / Contract work:
- Web / Landing Page Design Service (Contract): $10,400.00
- Web / Landing Page Design Service (Freelance): $725.00
- Leadpages: $628.60
Web Services / Hosting:
Marketing / Automation Services:
Books / Learning:
- Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine: $20.99
- The Referral of a Lifetime: Never Make a Cold Call Again!: $11.99
- The Referral of a Lifetime: The Networking Systems that Produces Bottom Line Results…Every Day!: $17.96
- The Art of the Start 2.0: The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything: $28.73
- Launch: An Internet Millionaire’s Secret Formula to Sell Almost Anything Online, Build a Business You Love, and Live the Life of Your Dreams: $19.44
- Total Net Income: $12,159.79
- Total Spent: $274.80
- Total Net Profit: $11.884.99
It’s a good month in terms of profit, but all my income is coming from one source still pretty much and like I said in my last post… it’s extremely scary. I am also working myself to the bone here and maintaining this long term will does not sound like a good time. Luckily I am doing what I can to diversity my income stream.
I also have an unbalanced business income to expenses ratio. My business income also has to pay for my rent and stuff since this is my only job, so bills also take a chunk out of my income above. However, I don’t consider that a business expense, so I didn’t put it up there, but It’s about $1200 a month all said and done. I need to figure out how much I should be spending on subcontractors and such and set aside a budget each month to spend on that. Right now it’s just me spending whatever and it hurts every time I have to pay because well…I’m bootstrapping and cheap. Well frugal is a better word I guess and I am just need to save every dollar I have incase this contract position ends soon. Knock on wood.
Everything will work out.
Ok that’s enough for me, it’s time to get back to the grind and see you in the next 10 days.
Cheers to success!